Pages

Friday, December 27, 2013

Blondies Bar: A Delicious Failperiment



The reason why I love making cookie bars is that you can never go wrong with them or if you do, you can make something out of your failperiment. This is one of those days when I decided to make brownies but ended up realizing that – oops! I do not have any chocolates at all. What I have in the kitchen are the usual stuffs – flour, sugar, leftover butter,  eggs, baking soda and peanuts. And since everyone in the house is craving for sweets, I made pale brownies instead. Is there such a thing?

It is very easy to make a chewy and tasty dessert out of your common kitchen ingredients. And even if I don’t have any chocolates, I can turn my brownies into something else –Blondies! Also called, butterscotch bar, this recipe is so simple that you can make it even with your eyes closed and if you have better creativity than me, you can also make your very own version of this sweet dessert.

Originally, butterscotch should contain pecans but since I prefer to bake goodies using items that I can find inside the house, I substituted pecans with peanuts instead. But honestly, pecans are a bit expensive here so I used peanuts instead but other types of nuts can be used as some people are allergic to them. Moreover, the original recipe calls for white chocolates but for this version, I omitted it as well. Here’s the recipe below.

Blondies Bars

Raw or roasted peanuts (optional)
Chopped raising (optional)
Icing sugar
½ cup butter
1 cup flour (all-purpose)
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking soda
Egg
½ cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350-degrees Fahrenheit or 177-degrees Celsius.

In a saucepan, melt the butter and let it cool to room temperature. Set aside. On another bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and salt. Make sure to incorporate all the dry ingredients well.

If you have an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar until the mixture becomes light and frothy. You can also whisk it by hand for three to five minutes.  Add the vanilla extract and the melted butter. Incorporate the ingredients  and beat in the flour mixture. Lastly, add the chopped raisins into the mixture. Mix well by hand or by your electric mixer.


Pour the batter into a prepared pan (sprayed with cooking oil) and smoothen the top. You can also tap the pan three times on your kitchen counter to release the air trapped in the batter. Put inside the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the batter comes out clean.  Remove from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack.


Note: You can sprinkle peanuts on top 10 minutes after putting the batter inside the oven.  I also dusted the top with icing sugar. I decided to reduce the amount of sugar used in my recipe (the original recipe calls for 3/4 cup of sugar) but since I am adding raisins and icing sugar on top, that would have made my blondies too sweet to my liking. Anyway,  I do not know if this is still a blondies bar because I made a lot of modifications in the recipe but it tastes great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd like to know what you think.