Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

Supermom Edition: Recycled Bulletin Board From An Old Board Game

Before the family computer was invented back in the 80’s, there were board games. Oh yes! As a child, I enjoyed playing board games with my family (except chess because I cannot quite grasp the rules of the game… sorry!) and one of our favorite game is Scrabble. I can still remember when I was young, I’d easily bet kids smaller than me (hahaha) with this game. Those were the days. Good times, good times!

But, just like old memories, we soon forgot playing scrabble and our once shiny board game which serves as our entertainment before, was completely forgotten inside the storage cabinet. I took pity when I took it out all battered and beaten. It has a missing screw so the hinge would fall of easily. Moreover, most of the wooden tiles went missing. I was sorry and, at the same time, amused when Nica used it as a makeshift attaché case. And so to rescue the dying board game, I decided to turn it into a recycled bulletin board.

For this particular project, you will need the following materials

  • Cutter
  • Old board game
  • Old cork board
  • Ruler
  • Rugby glue
  • Thumbtacks

Cut the old cork board according to the size that you want. I need not buy an old cork board since we have an old one lying around the house. I want the cork board to replace the player’s board so that some of the texts printed are still visible. I had fun cutting the old cork board because it revealed an 80’s poster underneath it. We were big fans of 80's and 90's rockstars so this explains the poster underneath.  On the other hand, I didn't know that there was a poster underneath our old bulletin board so imagine how shocked and amused I was to see the tight-fitting jeans and torsos of these men. Hahaha!



Prepare the board game by gluing  together the wedge. Glue the cork board to the old board game using any kind of adhesive. I used rugby glue but you can also use ordinary glue or epoxy whichever is convenient.  Let the glue dry.





While waiting for the cork board to set on the board game, I then glued some tacky pins at the back of some scrabble tiles. They will serve as my push pins later on. Let the glue dry up for 24 hours before using them.





Apply paint or varnish to the surface of the board game excluding the cork board.



There you have it, you now have your very own funky bulletin board to remind you to pay your bills on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd like to know what you think.