Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

Making Guacamole From Excess Homegrown Avocados

Earlier this year, our lovely avocado tree bore fruits for the first time. I was so excited with the prospect of eating avocado everyday. However, little did I know that eating avocado everyday can lead to having tired and bored taste buds. Don’t get me wrong. I love avocado but eating avocado day in and day out is rather tiring. To remedy the excess avocados at home, we decided to give some to neighbors and friends. We also ended up making different varieties of avocado-based foods - well, most desserts.

As far as I know, the most common way to consume ripe avocado is to make them into milkshakes. You can also make them into ice candies, ice creams and sweet desserts. All of these taste heavenly but since I am watching my blood sugar, I decided to venture into an un-Filipino avocado recipe… the guacamole.

Most Filipinos use avocado to make sweet desserts and it is seldom that we use this particular fruit and incorporate it into savory recipes. Call it ignorance but I was appalled by the thought of putting salt or even pepper on my avocado but after experimenting in the kitchen, I finally found a perfect avocado recipe for me that can easily replace my lunch. Here’s how I made my own version of guacamole. 



For this recipe, I used one whole avocado, a pinch of salt and pepper to taste, lime juice, diced tomatoes and diced onions. As soon as you have everything you need, placed everything in a bowl and slightly mix to incorporate the ingredient. Add a dash of paprika and hot chili pepper flakes for additional flavor and kick. The entire dish is very refreshing. The light flavor of  tomatoes and the buttery texture of avocados compliment each other well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd like to know what you think.